With our travelling plans edging their way back to normal, the temptation to pack up and jet off on a holiday is oh so high. When travelling, both near and far, we need to take conscious steps to ensure our body gets the rest it so desparately needs. Despite rest being a key factor in why we decide to take a holiday, we often overlook its importance as we overschedule activities, fall out of our natural rhythm and put extra stress on the body.
We have collated a list of helpful tips and tricks to ensure you get the most out of your sleep on your next holiday and return home feeling fresh and well rested.
Go with the flow
If you're travelling internationally for your next holiday, make sure you consider the time difference. Your body will try and adjust to its surroundings as best as it can, but going with the flow of your travel destination can mean the world of difference for you and your jet lag. Try your best to sync your sleep schedule with your destination, if you're going to be landing at night, try to limit your sleep on the plane and sleep when you reach your accommodation instead. Or if you're leaving at night and arriving in the day, get as much sleep on the plane as you can so you feel fresh for the daytime ahead.
It is also important to consider how your body rests when you book your travel plans. If you find it difficult to get sleep in a plane or car, don't try and schedule your travel times relying on you to do so. Consider wearing something comfortable during your travel to improve your quality of rest, like the Ruby Lounge Set or an eye mask to block out extra light. It is also important to consider your comfort once you have arrived at your holiday destination. Consider packing some Linen loungewear or even a French Linen Robe.
Make healthy choices
It may be tempting to use your holiday as an opportunity to treat yourself to all the things you normally wouldn't, but doing so can actually prevent you from getting proper rest. Avoiding the negative impacts of travel can be reduced by ensuring you maintain a few healthy habits along the way.
- Moving your body, even light exercise, everyday can mean the world of difference for both overall energy and reducing the impacts of jet lag.
- Moderate your caffeine and alcohol intake. Ensure you are tailoring this to your normal routine, if you don't normally have a lot of caffeine in your day then don't overload it while you're on holiday.
- Likewise, your food and water consumption is equally important. Ensure you are eating and drinking water at your regular schedule, and be sure to consider extra hydration if you have planned a sun-filled, activity heavy holiday.
- Get some sun. Even a small amount of vitamin D can help your circadian rythmn adjust to your new sleep schedule.
2 nights away is always better than 1
Your body has become accustomed to your bed and recognises it as the normal and safest place for you to get rest. It recognises the feeling of your beautiful Linen, the softness of your pillows, even the amount of light that filters into your room. So when you go on a holiday and sleep in a different bed, your body needs to adjust to a completely different environment. It can take some time to adjust, so if you are considering a one night getaway, it's best to atleast book for two nights instead. If you stop for one night, chances are your body will spend your entire night sleep trying to adjust to the new environment. However, when you book for two nights, your body will have accepted the changes and feel safe enough by the second night to get a proper nights sleep.
Because we believe that two nights away is always better than one, we are giving you the opportunity to win two nights accommodation in The Barn at The Bower in Byron Bay + a $1000 I Love Linen gift voucher. Please see below for the giveaway's full terms and conditions.
- This competition is being run by I Love Linen & The Bower Byron Bay.
- Entry is open from Thursday 9th June until 11:59pm AEST Thursday 30th June 2022
- This competition is open to Australian residents only
- There will be 1 winner who will win the below prizes up to the value of $2,000 AUD:
- From I Love Linen: $1,000 I Love Linen Gift Voucher to spend on anything from www.ilovelinen.com.au
From The Bower Byron Bay: A stay for 2 nights in The Barn.
- To enter the competition,
- Entrants must fill in the form on this page:
- and follow @ilovelinen & @the_bower_byron_bay on Instagram
- Tag a friend on the competition feed post for a bonus entry
- The prize is not transferable, not redeemable for cash, not for resale and will be awarded to the confirmed winner only
- One winner will be chosen at random & must be following @ilovelinen, @the_bower_byron_bay on Instagram
- Winners will be announced and contacted by Friday 15th July 2022
- The prize must be claimed before Friday 29th July 2022 and voucher to stay at the Bower Byron Bay is valid for 1 year and must be redeemed before July 2023.
- Your stay at The Bower Byron Bay is subject to availability and must be booked directly via email@example.com or 02 6680 9577. Availability can be checked on their website prior to calling. Paid upgrades are available but are also subject to availability. The prize cannot be applied to existing bookings. The prize is not applicable during peak season (Easter, Splendour in the Grass, Christmas and New Years).
- By filling out the entry form, entrants are signing up to the email newsletters of I Love Linen and The Bower Byron Bay
- Your data will be collected in accordance with the privacy policies of I Love Linen (see here) and The Bower Byron Bay (see here).
- I Love Linen and The Bower Byron Bay reserve the right to make alterations to the terms & conditions of this competition if required
- By entering the competition, entrants afree to these terms and conditions.